Subset Feedback Vertex Set Is Fixed-Parameter Tractable
The classical Feedback Vertex Set problem asks, for a given undirected graph G and an integer k, to find a set of at most k vertices that hits all the cycles in the graph G. Feedback Vertex Set has attracted a large amount of research in the parameterized setting, and subsequent kernelization and fixed-parameter algorithms have been a rich source of ideas in the field.
In this paper we consider a more general and difficult version of the problem, named Subset Feedback Vertex Set (Subset-FVS in short) where an instance comes additionally with a set S ⊆ V of vertices, and we ask for a set of at most k vertices that hits all simple cycles passing through S. Because of its applications in circuit testing and genetic linkage analysis Subset-FVS was studied from the approximation algorithms perspective by Even et al. [SICOMP’00, SIDMA’00].
The question whether the Subset-FVS problem is fixed-parameter tractable was posed independently by Kawarabayashi and Saurabh in 2009. We answer this question affirmatively. We begin by showing that this problem is fixed-parameter tractable when parametrized by |S|. Next we present an algorithm which reduces the given instance to 2 k n O(1) instances with the size of S bounded by O(k 3), using kernelization techniques such as the 2-Expansion Lemma, Menger’s theorem and Gallai’s theorem. These two facts allow us to give a 2 O(klogk) n O(1) time algorithm solving the Subset Feedback Vertex Set problem, proving that it is indeed fixed-parameter tractable.
KeywordsFeasible Solution Undirected Graph Simple Cycle Quadratic Kernel Edge Bubble
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bousquet, N., Daligault, J., Thomassé, S.: Multicut is FPT. In: Proc. of STOC 2011 (to appear, 2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, J., Liu, Y., Lu, S., O’Sullivan, B., Razgon, I.: A fixed-parameter algorithm for the directed feedback vertex set problem. In: Proc. of STOC 2008, pp. 177–186 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Cygan, M., Nederlof, J., Pilipczuk, M., Pilipczuk, M., van Rooij, J.M.M., Wojtaszczyk, J.O.: Solving connectivity problems parameterized by treewidth in single exponential time. CoRR abs/1103.0534 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Demaine, E.D., Hajiaghayi, M.T., Marx, D.: Open problems from dagstuhl seminar 09511 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Downey, R.G., Fellows, M.R.: Fixed parameter tractability and completeness. In: Complexity Theory: Current Research, pp. 191–225 (1992)Google Scholar
- 20.Kawarabayashi, K., Kobayashi, Y.: Fixed-parameter tractability for the subset feedback set problem and the S-cycle packing problem (2010) (manuscript)Google Scholar
- 22.Marx, D., Razgon, I.: Fixed-parameter tractability of multicut parameterized by the size of the cutset. In: Proc. of STOC 2011 (to appear, 2011)Google Scholar
- 26.Thomassé, S.: A quadratic kernel for feedback vertex set. In: Proc. of SODA 2009, pp. 115–119 (2009)Google Scholar