A Discrete Flow Simulation Model for Urban Road Networks, with Application to Combined Car and Single-File Bicycle Traffic
A model, discrete in terms of time, geometrical space and velocity, is defined for a mix of car and bicycle traffic. Although based on cellular automata (CA) and interchangeable with a CA model in some special cases, the spatial aspect of the model presented here includes some characteristics that set it apart from CA models, such as overlapping cells and extended stochasticity. These characteristics allow easy incorporation of a variety of network elements into a spatial network model. The behaviour model includes rules for movement along stretches of road, as well as rules of behaviour at decision and conflict points on the road. Agent based simulations are run for three simple scenarios and results of these simulations are presented.
Keywordscellular automata heterogeneous traffic flow bicycles urban roads simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Belbasi, S., Foulaadvand, M.E.: Simulation of traffic flow at a signalized intersection. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment 2008, P07021 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Deo, P., Ruskin, H.J.: Comparison of homogeneous and heterogeneous motorised traffic at signalised and two-way stop control single lane intersection. In: Gavrilova, M.L., Gervasi, O., Kumar, V., Tan, C.J.K., Taniar, D., Laganá, A., Mun, Y., Choo, H. (eds.) ICCSA 2006. LNCS, vol. 3980, pp. 622–632. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Nagel, K., Schreckenberg, M.: A cellular automaton model for freeway traffic. J. Phys. I 2, 2221–2229 (1992)Google Scholar
- 20.Vasić, J., Ruskin, H.J.: Cellular automaton simulation of traffic including cars and bicycles. Physica A (submitted)Google Scholar
- 21.Wahle, J., Schreckenberg, M.: A multi-agent system for on-line simulations based on real-world traffic data. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences 3, 3037 (2001)Google Scholar