Software Licenses as Mobile Objects in Distributed Computing Environments
Current praxis of software licensing has been identified as major obstacle for Grid computing a couple of years ago already. Recent surveys of Clouds indicate that the same holds true for Cloud computing. As a consequence, using commercial applications that require access to a license server for authorisation at run-time has been quite limited until recently in distributed computing environments. Due to the mandatory centralised control of license usage during application run-time traditional software licensing practices are not suitable. In this paper we present a novel approach for managing software licenses as web service resources in distributed service oriented environments. Licenses become mobile objects, which may move to the environment where required to authorise the execution of a license protected application. The SmartLM solution, which has been recently implemented as a prototype decouples authorisation for license usage from authorisation for application execution.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Armbrust, M., Fox, A., Griffith, R., Joseph, A.D., Katz, R., Konwinski, A., Lee, G., Patterson, D., Rabkin, A., Stoica, I., Zaharia, M.: Above the Clouds: A Berkeley View of Cloud Computing. Technical Report UCB/EECS-2009-28, University of California, Berkeley (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Dalheimer, M., Pfreundt, F.-J.: GenLM: License Management for Grid and Cloud Computing Environments. In: Proceedings of the CCGrid Conference 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Andrieux, A., et al.: Web Services Agreement Specification (WS-Agreement). Grid Forum Document GFD.107, Open Grid Forum, GFD.107 proposed recommendation (2007), http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.107.pdf
- 4.Li, J., Wldrich, O., Ziegler, W.: Towards sla-based software licenses, pp. 139–152 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.EGEE now running Matlab parallel computing products (May 25, 2010), http://www.scientific-computing.com/news
- 6.Seventh Annual BSA/IDC Global software - 09 piracy study (May 25, 2010), http://portal.bsa.org/globalpiracy2009/index.html
- 8.Rumpl, A., Wäldrich, O., Ziegler, W.: Extending WS-AGREEMENT with multi-round negotiation capability. In: Proceedings of Grid 2009 Workshop on SLA Usage in Grids. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.SmartLM - Grid-friendly software licensing for location independent application execution (June 8, 2010), http://www.smartlm.eu/
- 10.UVOS - Unicore Virtual Organisation System (February 8, 2010), http://uvos.chemomentum.org/
- 11.WSAG4J - Web Services Agreement for Java (June 8, 2010), http://packcs-e0.scai.fraunhofer.de/mss-project/wsag4j/index.html