A Distributed Self-adaptive Nonparametric Change-Detection Test for Sensor/Actuator Networks
The prompt detection of faults and, more in general, changes in stationarity in networked systems such as sensor/actuator networks is a key issue to guarantee robustness and adaptability in applications working in real-life environments. Traditional change-detection methods aiming at assessing the stationarity of a data generating process would require a centralized availability of all observations, solution clearly unacceptable when large scale networks are considered and data have local interest. Differently, distributed solutions based on decentralized change-detection tests exploiting information at the unit and cluster level would be a solution. This work suggests a novel distributed change-detection test which operates at two-levels: the first, running on the unit, is particularly reactive in detecting small changes in the process generating the data, whereas the second exploits distributed information at the cluster-level to reduce false positives. Results can be immediately integrated in the machine learning community where adaptive solutions are envisaged to address changes in stationarity of the considered application. A large experimental campaign shows the effectiveness of the approach both on synthetic and real data applications.
KeywordsChange detection test sensor/actuator networks fault detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Basseville, M., Nikiforov, I.V.: Detection of Abrupt Changes: Theory and Application. Prentice-Hall, N.J (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Tartakovsky, A., Veeravalli, V.: Quickestchange detection in distributed sensor systems. In: 6th Int. Conf. on Information Fusion, pp. 756–763 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Yang, D., Qi, H.: An Effective Decentralized Nonparametric Quickest Detection Approach. In: 20th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pp. 2278–2281 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Alippi, C., Boracchi, G., Roveri, M.: A hierarchical nonparametric sequential change-detection test. In: IEEE 2011 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Alippi, C., Boracchi, G., Roveri, M.: Change Detection Tests Using the ICI rule. In: IEEE 2010 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1 – 7 (2010)Google Scholar