An Evaluation of the Graphical Modeling Framework (GMF) Based on the Development of the CORAS Tool
We present an evaluation of the Graphical Modeling Framework (GMF) based on our experiences in developing an editor for the risk modeling language CORAS using GMF. Our main hypothesis is that GMF shortens development time and results in more reliable and maintainable systems than alternative approaches which are not based on code generation. We conclude that the hypothesis is true, but that the answer is not as clear cut as we initially believed, and that there is still a large potential for improvement.
KeywordsModel-Driven Development GMF Domain Specific Languages Evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Avizienis, A., Laprie, J.-C., Randell, B.: Fundamental Concepts of Dependability. Research Report No 1145, LAAS-CNRS (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Eclipse. Eclipse modeling framework project (emf) (2011), http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/gmp (visited February 8, 2011)
- 4.Eclipse. Graphical editing framework (gef) (2011), http://www.eclipse.org/geff (visited February 8, 2011)
- 5.Eclipse. Graphical modeling project (gmp) (2011), http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emf (visited February 8, 2011)
- 7.Gronback, R.C.: Eclipse Modeling Project: A Domain-Specific Language (DSL) Toolkit. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Kolvos, D.S.: An Extensible Platform for Specification of Integrated Languages for Model Management. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of York (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Krogmann, K., Becker, S.: A case study on model-driven and conventional software development: The palladio editor. In: Proc. of tSoftware Engineering 2007 - Beiträge zu den Workshops, Fachtagung des GI-Fachbereichs Softwaretechnik, vol. 106, pp. 169–176. GI (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.McGrath, J.E.: Groups: Interaction and performance. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1984)Google Scholar
- 14.Pelechano, V., Albert, M., Muñoz, J., Cetina, C.: Building tools for model driven development. comparing microsoft dsl tools and eclipse modeling plugins. In: Proc. of the Actas del Taller sobre Desarrollo de Software Dirigido por Modelos. MDA y Aplicaciones. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 227 (2007)Google Scholar