Finite Combinatory Logic with Intersection Types
Combinatory logic is based on modus ponens and a schematic (polymorphic) interpretation of axioms. In this paper we propose to consider expressive combinatory logics under the restriction that axioms are not interpreted schematically but ,,literally”, corresponding to a monomorphic interpretation of types. We thereby arrive at finite combinatory logic, which is strictly finitely axiomatisable and based solely on modus ponens. We show that the provability (inhabitation) problem for finite combinatory logic with intersection types is Exptime-complete with or without subtyping. This result contrasts with the general case, where inhabitation is known to be Expspace-complete in rank 2 and undecidable for rank 3 and up. As a by-product of the considerations in the presence of subtyping, we show that standard intersection type subtyping is in Ptime. From an application standpoint, we can consider intersection types as an expressive specification formalism for which our results show that functional composition synthesis can be automated.
KeywordsIntersection Type Turing Machine Recursive Call Combinatory Logic Inhabitation Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ben-Yelles, C.: Type Assignment in the Lambda-Calculus: Syntax and Semantics. PhD thesis, Department of Pure Mathematics, University College of Swansea (September 1979)Google Scholar
- 5.Comon, H., et al.: Tree Automata Techniques and Applications (2008), http://tata.gforge.inria.fr
- 7.Kobayashi, N., Luke Ong, C.-H.: A type system equivalent to the modal mu-calculus model checking of higher-order recursion schemes. In: LICS, pp. 179–188. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Leivant, D.: Polymorphic type inference. In: Proc. 10th ACM Symp. on Principles of Programming Languages, pp. 88–98. ACM, New York (1983)Google Scholar
- 15.Pottinger, G.: A type assignment for the strongly normalizable lambda-terms. In: Hindley, J., Seldin, J. (eds.) To H. B. Curry: Essays on Combinatory Logic, Lambda Calculus and Formalism, pp. 561–577. Academic Press, London (1980)Google Scholar
- 16.Rehof, J., Urzyczyn, P.: Finite combinatory logic with intersection types. Technical Report 834, Dept. of Computer Science, Technical University of Dortmund (2011), http://ls14-www.cs.tu-dortmund.de/index.php/Datei:TR-834.pdf