On Interactive Interfaces for Learning Chinese Character Writing Online
Learning to write Chinese character is a crucial process for non-native speakers in Chinese learning and a big stumbling block also. Luckily there are numbers of websites providing online learning of Chinese character writing which may benefit learners in overcoming the barriers. In this study we focus on these websites and emphasizes on the instruction of Chinese character writing. There were 24 of the websites screened from the Internet for further investigation. After intensive analysis and comparison, eight main factors in interface design of Chinese character writing were identified. They are: Media of presentation, Grid pattern, Tracing outline, Color coding, Stroke labeling, Play control, Stroke speed, and Writing exercise. Based on the analysis of the advantage and disadvantage of different implementations of these 8 main factors, an improved interface design proposal for Chinese character writing instruction is then propose to the follow-up research.
KeywordsChinese characters Chinese learning Chinese character writing Interactive interface Interface design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chen, G.S., Jheng, Y.D., Lin, L.F.: Computer-based assessment for the stroke order of Chinese characters writing. In: The Second International Conference on Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Kumamoto, Japan (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, G.S., Yao, H.C., Jheng, Y.D.: On-line assessment for the stroke order of Chinese characters writing. In: 16th International Conference on Computers in Education, Workshop Proceedings: Supplementary Proceedings of ICCE 2008, pp. 132–138 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Taft, M., Chung, K.K.H.: Using radicals in teaching Chinese characters to second language learners. J. Psychologia 42, 243–251 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Lam, H.C., Pun, K.H., Leung, S.T., Tse, S.K., Ki, W.W.: Computer-assisted-learning for learning Chinese characters. J. Communications of COLIPS: An International Journal of Chinese and Oriental Languages Information Processing Society 3(1), 31–44 (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Luo, W.: Teaching of Chinese characters at Beijing Language and Culture University. In: Guder, A., Jiang, X., Wan, Y. (eds.) The Cognition, Learning and Teaching of Chinese Character, pp. 411–426. Beijing Language and Culture University Press (2007) [in Chinese]Google Scholar