Exact Compensation of Color-Weakness with Discrimination Threshold Matching
In this paper we describe a novel compensation algorithm for color-weakness based on a new, objective criterion to compare normal observers and color-weak observers, using Riemann geometric properties of color spaces. The criterion is to match the color discrimination thresholds of average, normal observers and a colorweak observer. The method uses local and global isometry theory and provides the two groups of observers with the same color-difference experience. A one-dimensional compensation and simulation of color-weakness is shown as an application of the general approach to the Brettel color-blind model. The 2D and 3D compensations and simulations are illustrated in chromaticity planes and full color spaces.
KeywordsColor Space Color Vision Discrimination Threshold Color Perception Color Stimulus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ichikawa, M., Tanaka, K., Kondo, S., Hiroshima, K., Ichikawa, K., Tanabe, S., Fukami, K.: Preliminary Study on Color Modification for Still Images to Realize Barrier-Free Color Vision. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics SMC 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Troiano, L., Birtolo, C., Italiane, P.: Adapting Palettes to Color Vision Deficiencies by Genetic Algorithm. In: Proc. 10th Genetic And Evolutionary Computation Conference, in CD-ROM (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Wyszecki, G., Stiles, W.S.: Color Science, 2nd edn. Wiley Classics Library, Chichester (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Chao, J., Osugi, I., Suzuki, M.: On definitions and construction of uniform color space. In: Proceedings of CGIV 2004, The Second European Conference on Colour in Graphics, Imaging and Vision, April 5-8, pp. 55–60 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Mochizuki, R., Nakamura, T., Chao, J., Lenz, R.: Color-weak correction by discrimination threshold matching. In: Proceedings of CGIV 2008, 4th European Conference on Color in Graphics, Imaging, and Vision, June 9-13, pp. 208–213 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Chao, J., Lenz, R., Matsumoto, D., Nakamura, T.: Riemann geometry for color characterization and mapping. In: Proceedings of CGIV2008, 4th European Conference on Color in Graphics, Imaging, and Vision, June 9-13, pp. 277–282 (2008)Google Scholar