Survey: Improving Document Accessibility from the Blind and Visually Impaired User’s Point of View
There are thousands of digital documents available on the internet, but many of them are not accessible for blind and visually impaired people. To find out what is of importance as to the reading of text and the navigation within documents from the user’s point of view, a survey has been conducted among people concerned. They were asked how they handle text-documents, which problems they have and which features they would wish to have for a novel concept of assistive technology. The analysis of feedbacks from 205 participants leads to four key issues: The people concerned would like to have better access to digital documents as well as a better overview over their structure and content. In addition, the assistive technologies should be more easy, intuitive and standardised to use. A discussion is provided where the outline of preliminary solutions for the issues mentioned is proposed.
KeywordsDocument accessibility Visual impairment Blind Assistive Technology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W3C WAI Essential Components of Web Accessibility, http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/components.php
- 2.W3C WAI Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) 2.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG20/
- 3.W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/
- 4.W3C WAI User Agent Accessibility Guidelines (UAAG) 2.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/
- 5.Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA), http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd373592%28VS.85%29.aspx
- 6.Freedom Scientific - JAWS for Windows Screen Reading Software, http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/fs/jaws-product-page.asp
- 7.Brugger, R.: Eine statistische Methode zur Erkennung von Dokumentstrukturen. PhD thesis no. 1251, University of Fribourg (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.WHO International Classification of Diseases (ICD), http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/
- 9.Apple Accessibility VoiceOver, http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/
- 11.Ruemer, R., Miesenberger, K., Kummer, F., Gravenhorst, C.: Improving the Re-digitisation Process by Using Software with Automatic Metadata Detection. In: Miesenberger, K., Klaus, J., Zagler, W., Karshmer, A. (eds.) ICCHP 2010. LNCS, vol. 6179, pp. 35–42. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar