Color Image Compression Using Fast VQ with DCT Based Block Indexing Method
In this paper, a Vector Quantization compression scheme based on block indexing is proposed to compress true color images. This scheme uses affine transform to represent the blocks of the image in terms of the blocks of the code book. In this work a template image rich with high contrast areas is used as a codebook to approximately represent the blocks of the compressed image. A time reduction was achieved due to the usage of block descriptors to index the images blocks, these block descriptors are derived from the discrete cosine transform (DCT) coefficients. The DCT bases descriptor is affine transform invariant. This descriptor is used to filter out the domain blocks, and make matching only with similar indexed blocks. This introduced method led to time (1.13sec), PSNR (30.09), MSE (63.6) and compression ratio (7.31) for Lena image (256×256, 24bits).
KeywordsImage Compression DCT Fractal Image Compression IFS Isometric Processes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kekre, H.B., Sarode, K.: Vector Quantized Codebook Optimization using K-Means. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering 3, 283–290 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Gonzalez, R.F., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing, 2nd edn. Pearson Education International, Prentic Hall, Inc. (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Vector Quantization, http://www.mqasem.net/vectorquantization/vq.html
- 4.Colvin, J.: Iterated Function Systems and Fractal Image Compression: email@example.com (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Fisher, Y.: Fractal Image Compression. In: SIGARAPH 1992 Course Notes, the San Diego Super Computer Center. University of California, San Diego (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Hamzaoui, R., Muller, M., Saupe, D.: Enhancing Fractal Image Compression with Vector Quantization. In: Proc. DSPWS (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Nixon, M.S., Aguada, A.S.: Feature Extraction and Image Processing:an imrint of Elsevier. British Library Cataloguing in publishing Data, pp. 57–58 (2005) ISBN 0-7506-5078-8Google Scholar
- 9.George, L.: Eman Al-Hilo:Spedding-Up Color FIC Using Isometric Process Based on moment predictor. In: International Conference on Future Computer and Communication, pp. 607–611. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.George, L.: IFS Coding for Zero-Mean Image Blocks. Iraqi Journal of Science 47(1) (2006)Google Scholar