A Method for Robust Multispectral Face Recognition
Matching Short Wave InfraRed (SWIR) face images against a face gallery of color images is a very challenging task. The photometric properties of images in these two spectral bands are highly distinct. This work presents a new cross-spectral face recognition method that encodes both magnitude and phase of responses of a classic bank of Gabor filters applied to multi-spectral face images. Three local operators: Simplified Weber Local Descriptor, Local Binary Pattern, and Generalized Local Binary Pattern are involved. The comparison of encoded face images is performed using the symmetric Kullbuck-Leibler divergence. We show that the proposed method provides high recognition rates at different spectra (visible, Near InfraRed and SWIR). In terms of recognition rates it outperforms Faceit®G8, a commercial software distributed by L1.
KeywordsFace recognition SWIR Gabor wavelets Simplified Weber Local Descriptor Local Binary Pattern Generalized Local Binary Pattern Kullback Leibler divergence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Klare, B., Jain, A.K.: Heterogeneous Face Recognition: Matching NIR to Visible Light Images. In: 20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp. 1513–1516 (August 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Akhloufi, M., Bendada, A.: Multispectral Infrared Face Recognition: a comparative study. In: 10th International Conference on Quantitative InfraRed Thermography, vol. 3 (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Akhloufi, M., Bendada, A.: A new fusion framework for multispectral face recognition in the texture space. In: 10th International Conference on Quantitative InfraRed Thermography, vol. 2 (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Viola, P., Jones, M.: Rapid Object Detection using a. Boosted Cascade of Simple Features. In: Proc. of IEEE CVPR, pp. 511–518 (December 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Guo, Y., Xu, Z.: Local Gabor phase difference pattern for face recognition. In: 19th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp. 1–4 (December 2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, W., Shan, S., Gao, W., Chen, X., Zhang, H.: Local Gabor Binary Pattern Histogram Sequence (LGBPHS): A Novel Non-Statistical Model for Face Representation and Recognition. In: Tenth IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 1, pp. 786–791 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Chen, J., Zhao, G., Pietikäinen, M.: An improved local descriptor and threshold learning for unsupervised dynamic texture segmentation. In: 12th International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops, pp. 460–467 (October 2009)Google Scholar
- 12.GoodRich, Surveillance Using SWIR Night Vision Cameras, on line, http://www.sensorsinc.com/facilitysecurity.html (accessed on March 05, 2011)
- 13.WVHTCF, Tactical Imager for Night/Day Extended-Range Surveillance, on line, http://www.wvhtf.org/departments/advanced_tech/projects/tinders.asp (accessed on March 05, 2011)