Phase Congruency Based Technique for the Removal of Rain from Video
Rain is a complex dynamic noise that hampers feature detection and extraction from videos. The presence of rain streaks in a particular frame of video is completely random and cannot be predicted accurately. In this paper, a method based on phase congruency is proposed to remove rain from videos. This method makes use of the spatial, temporal and chromatic properties of the rain streaks in order to detect and remove them. The basic idea is that any pixel will not be covered by rain at all instances. Also, the presence of rain causes sharp changes in intensity at a particular pixel. The directional property of rain streaks also helps in the proper detection of rain affected pixels. The method provides good results in comparison with the existing methods for rain removal.
KeywordsPhase congruency rain removal alpha blending
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Brewer, N., Liu, N.: Using the shape characteristics of rain to identify and remove rain from video. In: da Vitoria Lobo, N., Kasparis, T., Roli, F., Kwok, J.T., Georgiopoulos, M., Anagnostopoulos, G.C., Loog, M. (eds.) S+SSPR 2008. LNCS, vol. 5342, pp. 451–458. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Garg, K., Nayar, S.K.: When does a camera see rain? In: International Conference on Computer Vision 2005, pp. 1067–1074 (October 2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Park, W.J., Lee, K.H.: Rain removal using Kalman filter in video. In: International Conference on Smart Manufacturing Application, pp. 494–497 (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Barnum, P., Kanade, T., Narasimhan, S.: Spatio-temporal frequency analysis for removing rain and snow from videos. In: Workshop on Photometric Analysis For Computer Vision (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, X., Li, H., Qi, Y., Leow, W.K., Ng, T.K.: Rain removal in video by combining temporal and chromatic properties. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo 2006, pp. 461–464 (July 2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., Boston (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Kovesi, P.: Image features from Phase Congruency. Videre: Journal of Computer Vision Research 1(3) (Summer 1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Venkatesh, S., Owens, R.A.: An energy feature detection scheme. In: The International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 553–557 (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.Matsushita, Y., Ofek, E., Tang, X., Shum, H.Y.: Full-frame video stabilization with motion inpainting. In: Proceedings of CVPR 2005, vol. 1, pp. 50–57 (2005)Google Scholar