Argo Vehicle Simulation of Motion Driven 3D LIDAR Detection and Environment Awareness
This paper presents a method to detect three dimensional (3D) objects using an occupancy grid based mapping technique. This paper adapts the 3D occupancy grid based mapping technique from the two dimensional (2D) occupancy grid based mapping technique commonly used in Simultaneous Localization and Mapping applications. The 3D occupancy mapping technique uses a 3D inverse measurement model and has been developed for a LIDAR based off-road ground rover vehicle that drives on 3D terrain. The technique is developed and simulated in MATLAB to demonstrate its 3D object detection capabilities. This technique was developed as part of off-road autonomous vehicle research being conducted at the University of Waterloo.
KeywordsGrid Cell Mobile Robot Elevation Angle Occupancy Grid Inverse Measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Kortenkamp, D., Bonasso, R.P., Murphy, R.: AI-Based Mobile Robots: Case Studies of Successful Robot Systems. American Association for Artificial Intelligence, Menlo Park (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Thrun, S.: Learning Occupancy Grids with Forward Models. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Moravec, H.P., Elfes, A.: High Resolution Maps from Wide Angle Sonar. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 116–121 (1985)Google Scholar
- 7.Buhmann, J., Burgard, W., Cremers, A.B., Fox, D., Hofmann, T., Schneider, F., Strikos, J., Thrun, S.: The Mobile Robot Rhino. AI Magazine 16 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Burgard, W., Fox, D., Jans, H., Matenar, C., Thrun, S.: In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Machine Learning (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Moravec, H.P., Martin, M.C.: Robot Navigation by 3D Spatial Evidence Grids. Internal Report, Carnegie Mellon University (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Tran, T.H., Ha, Q.P., Grover, R., Scheding, S.: Modeling of an Autonomous Amphibious Vehicle. ARC Centre of Excellence in Autonomous Systems (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Yu, W., Chuy, O., Collins, E.G., Hollis, P.: Dynamic Modeling of a Skid-Steered Wheeled Vehicle with Experimental Verification. In: Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4212–4219 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Lucet, E., Grand, C., Salle, D., Bidaud, P.: Dynamic Sliding Mode Control of a Four-Wheel Skid-Steering Vehicle in Presence of Sliding. In: 17th CISM-IFToMM Symposium on Robot Design, Dynamics, and Control (2008)Google Scholar