Extending the Meta-design Theory: Engaging Participants as Active Contributors in Virtual Worlds
Meta-design has emerged as a theoretical framework by supporting open systems that allow end-users to become designers in dynamic use contexts. Our research is grounded in the objectives that (1) the meta-design theory can inform the design of virtual worlds, and that, in return, (2) observations and insights from virtual worlds can broaden the meta-design theory. Our work is based on 80 hours participant observation and additional interviews.
KeywordsMeta-design virtual worlds end-user design human-centered design science of design open evolvable systems empowerment of the user
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Costabile, M.F., Fogli, D., Mussio, P., Piccinno, A.: A meta-design approach to end-user development. Paper Presented at the 2005 IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Fischer, G.: End-User Development and Meta-design: Foundations for Cultures of Participation. In: End-User Development, pp. 3–14 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Fischer, G., Grudin, J., McCall, R., Ostwald, J., Redmiles, D., Reeves, B., Shipman, F.: Seeding, evolutionary growth and reseeding: The incremental development of collaborative design environments. In: Olson, G.M., Malone, T.W., Smith, J.B. (eds.) Coordination Theory and Collaboration Technology, pp. 447–472. Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Fischer, G., Scharff, E.: Meta-design: design for designers. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Designing Interactive Systems: Processes, Practices, Methods, and Techniques. ACM, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Koehne, B., Redmiles, D., Fischer, G.: Details on Extending the Meta-Design Theory: Results from Participant Observation of Active Contributors in Virtual Worlds (2011), http://www.isr.uci.edu/tech_reports/UCI-ISR-11-1.pdf (March 14, 2011)
- 8.Lofland, J.: Analyzing social settings: a guide to qualitative observation and analysis, 4th edn. Wadsworth/Thomson Learning, Belmont, CA (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Nardi, B.A.: My life as a night elf priest: an anthropological account of world of warcraft. The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor (2010)Google Scholar