Modeling Detection of HIV in Cuba
A nonlinear compartmental model is developed for the HIV detection system in Cuba with different types of detections, some random and others non-random. We analyze the dynamics of this system, compute the reproduction numbers, and use the data from the Cuban HIV/AIDS epidemic between 1986-2008 to fit the model. We obtain estimates for the detection-related parameters during two separate time periods to reflect the timeline of the implementation of various types of searches. The reproduction numbers for each time period are also computed from the sets of values of the parameters. We found that random screening is most important as a mean of surveillance. Moreover, local asymptotic stability for the Disease Free Equilibrium can be achieved if (i) random screening is sufficiently effective and (ii) infection by detected HIV-positive individuals is minimal. Our results highlight the importance of education for the known infectious for the purpose of preventing further infection. Fitting the 1986-2008 HIV data to obtain the model parameter estimates indicates that the HIV epidemic in Cuba is currently approaching an endemic equilibrium. A Genetic Algorithm is used.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Hsieh, Y.H., de Arazoza, H., Lounes, R., Joanes, J.: A Class of Models for HIV Contact Tracing in Cuba: Implications for Intervention and Treatment. In: Tan, W.Y. (ed.) Deterministic and Stochastic Models for AIDS Epidemics and HIV Infection with Interventions. World Scientific, Singapore (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Hsieh, Y.H., Wang, Y.S., de Arazoza, H., Lounes, R.: HIV Model with Secondary Contact Tracing: Impact of the Partner Notification Program in Cuba. BMC Infectious Diseases 10:194, 1–9 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Inciardi, J.A., Syvertsen, J.L., Surratt, H.L.: HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean Basin. AIDS Care 17(suppl. 1), S9–S25 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.WHO. World Health Organisation: Cuba, http://www.who.int/countries/cub/en/ (accessed June 20, 2006)
- 12.MINSAP. CUBA:PLAN ESTRATEGICO NACIONAL ITS/VIH/SIDA 2007-2011 (2006), http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/servicios/sida/anexo_2,_plan_estrategico__2007-2011.pdf