Carrier Ethernet OAM: An Overview and Comparison to IP OAM
Ethernet has evolved from a local area to a wide area network technology. When it is used in a service provider environment, it has more complex requirements, which demand a set of management techniques for the Ethernet layer. Ethernet OAM comprises a set of management techniques for Carrier (or Metropolitan) Ethernet networks. Carrier Ethernet devices often have IP connectivity for management purposes, which might be used for IP OAM as an alternative management solution to Ethernet OAM. This paper provides an overview of Carrier Ethernet technology and evaluates whether, and until which extent, IP-based protocols can replace Ethernet OAM in Carrier Ethernet networks.
KeywordsNetwork Management Carrier Ethernet Metropolitan Ethernet Provider Backbone Bridging Ethernet OAM IP OAM
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.SURFnet: GigaPort3 and SURFnet7 (April 2011), http://www.surfnet.nl/en/innovatie/giga-port3/Pages/Default.aspx
- 3.IEEE: 802.1ag: Connectivity Fault Management (December 2007)Google Scholar
- 4.ITU-T: Y.1731: OAM functions and mechanisms for Ethernet based networks (February 2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Indukuri, N.: Pseudowire VCCV - BFD vs Ethernet OAM. In: 2nd International Symposium on Advanced Networks and Telecommunication Systems, pp. 1–3 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.IEEE: 802.1Q: Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks (May 2006)Google Scholar
- 9.IEEE: 802.1ad: Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks - Amendment 4: Provider Bridges (May 2006)Google Scholar
- 10.IEEE: 802.1ah: Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks - Amendment 7: Provider Backbone Bridges (August 2008)Google Scholar
- 11.IEEE: 802.1Qay: Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks - Amendment 10: Provider Backbone Bridge Traffic Engineering (August 2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Lee, W., Kim, D., Song, H.: Autonomous Client Discovery in Backbone Edge Bridges for Multipoint PBB-TE Networks. In: 12th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), pp. 712–716. IEEE, Los Alamitos (April 2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Waldbusser, S.: Remote Network Monitoring Management Information Base. RFC 2819 (Informational) (May 2000)Google Scholar