An MDE-Based Approach for Solving Configuration Problems: An Application to the Eclipse Platform
Most of us have experienced configuration issues when installing new software applications. Finding the right configuration is often a challenging task since we need to deal with many dependencies between plug-ins, components, libraries, packages, etc; sometimes even regarding specific versions of the involved artefacts. Right now, most configuration engines are adhoc tools designed for specific configuration scenarios. This makes their reuse in different contexts very difficult.In this paper we report on our experience in following a MDE-based approach to solve configuration problems. In our approach, the configuration problem is represented as a model that abstracts all irrelevant technological details and facilitates the use of generic (constraint) solvers to find optimal solutions. This approach has been applied by an industrial partner to the management of plug-ins in the Eclipse framework, a big issue for all the technology providers that distribute Eclipse-based tools.
KeywordsConfiguration MDE Eclipse Plug-in Cartography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cicchetti, A., Di Ruscio, D., Pelliccione, P., Pierantonio, A., Zacchiroli, S.: Towards a model driven approach to upgrade complex software systems. In: Maciaszek, L.A., González-Pérez, C., Jablonski, S. (eds.) ENASE 2008/2009. Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol. 69, pp. 262–276. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Le Berre, D., Rapicault, P.: Dependency management for the eclipse ecosystem. In: Proceedings of IWOCE 2009, International workshop on Open Component Ecosystems (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Gruber, O., Hargrave, B.J., McAffer, J., Rappicault, P., Watson, T.: The eclipse 3.0 platform: Adopting osgi technology. IBM Systems Journal 44(2) (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.EMF. Eclipse Modeling Project. Reference site, http://www.eclipse.org/emf
- 6.OCL 2.0 specification (2008), http://www.omg.org/spec/OCL/2.0/
- 7.ILOG OPL-CPLEX development bundle (January 2010), http://www-01.ibm.com/software/integration/optimization/cplex-dev-bundles/
- 10.Brucker, A.D., Wolff, B.: The HOL-OCL book. Technical Report 525, ETH Zurich (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Cabot, J., Clarisó, R., Riera, D.: UMLtoCSP: a tool for the formal verification of UML/OCL models using constraint programming. In: ASE 2007, pp. 547–548 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Anastasakis, K., Bordbar, B., Georg, G., Ray, I.: Uml2alloy: A challenging model transformation. In: ACM/IEEE 10th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems, pp. 436–450 (2007)Google Scholar