Consensus is an abstraction of a variety of important challenges in dependable distributed systems. Thus a large body of theoretical knowledge is focused on modeling and solving consensus within different system assumptions. However, moving from theory to practice imposes compromises and design decisions that may impact the elegance, trade-offs and correctness of theoretical appealing consensus protocols.
In this paper we present the implementation and detailed analysis, in a real environment with a large number of nodes, of mutable consensus, a theoretical appealing protocol able to offer a wide range of trade-offs (called mutations) between decision latency and message complexity. The analysis sheds light on the fundamental behavior of the mutations, and leads to the identification of problems related to the real environment. Such problems are addressed without ever affecting the correctness of the theoretical proposal.
KeywordsFailure Detector Consensus Problem Message Complexity Consensus Protocol Message Loss
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bavier, A., Bowman, M., Chun, B., Culler, D., Karlin, S., Muir, S., Peterson, L., Roscoe, T., Spalink, T., Wawrzoniak, M.: Operating system support for planetary-scale network services. In: Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, p. 19 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Chandra, T., Griesemer, R., Redstone, J.: Paxos made live: an engineering perspective. In: Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pp. 398–407 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Guerraoui, R., Oliveira, R., Schiper, A.: Stubborn Communication Channels. Technical report, EPFL (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Leonini, L., Riviere, E., Felber, P.: SPLAY: Distributed Systems Evaluation Made Simple. In: Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, pp. 185–198 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Matos, M., Pereira, J., Oliveira, R.: Self Tuning with Self Confidence. In: ”Fast Abstract”, International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Pereira, J., Oliveira, R.: The mutable consensus protocol. In: Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, pp. 218–227 (2004)Google Scholar