Can Anything from Noether’s Theorem Be Salvaged for Discrete Dynamical Systems?
The dynamics of a physical system is linked to its phase-space geometry by Noether’s theorem, which holds under standard hypotheses including continuity. Does an analogous theorem hold for discrete systems? As a testbed, we take the Ising spin model with both ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic bonds. We show that—and why—energy not only acts as a generator of the dynamics for this family of systems, but is also conserved when the dynamics is time-invariant.
Keywordsanalytical mechanics of cellular automata second-order dynamics energy conservation energy as generator of the dynamics Noether’s theorem in the discrete
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arnold, V.: Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, 2nd edn., corr. 4th printing. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Bach, T.: Methodology and implementation of a software architecture for cellular and lattice-gas automata programming. PhD thesis, Boston University (2007), http://www.pm1.bu.edu/tt/Bach07thesis.pdf
- 5.Feynman, R., Leighton, R., Sands, M.: Conservation of Energy, ch. 4. The Feynman Lectures on Physics, vol. 1, pp. 4-1–4-8. Addison-Wellesly, Reading (1963)Google Scholar
- 8.Noether, E.: Invariante Variationsprobleme. Nachr. D. König. Gesellsch. D. Wiss. Zu Göttingen, Math-phys. Klasse 1918, 235–257 (English translation at arxiv.org/abs/physics/0503066v1) Google Scholar
- 10.Toffoli, T.: Action, or the fungibility of computation. In: Hey, A. (ed.) Feynman and Computation, pp. 349–392. Perseus, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Tyagi, A.: A principle of least computational action. In: Workshop on Physics and Computation, pp. 262–266. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1994)Google Scholar
- 13.Wikipedia. Noether’s theorem (sampled on January 19, 2011), http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noethers_theorem