Age Regression from Soft Aligned Face Images Using Low Computational Resources
The initial step in most facial age estimation systems consists of accurately aligning a model to the output of a face detector (e.g. an Active Appearance Model). This fitting process is very expensive in terms of computational resources and prone to get stuck in local minima. This makes it impractical for analysing faces in resource limited computing devices. In this paper we build a face age regressor that is able to work directly on faces cropped using a state-of-the-art face detector. Our procedure uses K nearest neighbours (K-NN) regression with a metric based on a properly tuned Fisher Linear Discriminant Analysis (LDA) projection matrix. On FG-NET we achieve a state-of-the-art Mean Absolute Error (MAE) of 5.72 years with manually aligned faces. Using face images cropped by a face detector we get a MAE of 6.87 years in the same database. Moreover, most of the algorithms presented in the literature have been evaluated on single database experiments and therefore, they report optimistically biased results. In our cross-database experiments we get a MAE of roughly 12 years, which would be the expected performance in a real world application.
KeywordsLinear Discriminant Analysis Discrete Cosine Transform Face Image Face Detector Active Appearance Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andrew, C., Gallagher, T.C.: Understanding images of groups of people. In: Proc. of CVPR, pp. 256–263 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Bekios-Calfa, J., Buenaposada, J.M., Baumela, L.: Revisiting linear discriminant techniques in gender recognition. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 33 (in press)Google Scholar
- 3.Bingbing, N., Zheng, S., Shuicheng, Y.: Web image mining towards universal age estimation. In: Proc. of ACM International Conference on Multimedia (October 2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Guo, G., Mu, G., Fu, Y., Huang, T.S.: Human age estimation using bio-inspired features. In: Proc. of CVPR, pp. 112–119 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Jahanbekam, A., Bauckhage, C., Thurau, C.: Age recognition in the wild. In: Proc. of ICPR, pp. 392–395. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Yan, S., Zhou, X., Liu, M., Hasegawa-Johnson, M., Huang, T.S.: Regression from patch-kernel. In: Proc. of CVPR (2008)Google Scholar