Comparing Simulated Electrocardiograms of Different Stages of Acute Cardiac Ischemia
Diagnosis of acute cardiac ischemia depends on characteristic shifts of the ST segment. The transmural extent of the ischemic region and the temporal stage of ischemia have an impact on these changes. In this work, computer simulations of realistic ventricles with different transmural extent of the ischemic region were carried out. Furthermore, three stages within the first half hour after the occlusion of the distal left anterior descending coronary artery were regarded. The transmembrane voltage distributions and the corresponding body surface ECGs were calculated. It was observed how the electrophysiological properties worsen in the course of ischemia, so that almost no excitation was initiated in the central ischemic zone 30 minutes after the occlusion. In addition to these temporal effects, also the transmural extent of the ischemic region had an impact on the direction and intensity of the ST segment shift.
KeywordsCardiac Ischemia Phase 1b Electrocardiogram Mathematical Modeling ST Segment Shift
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carmeliet, E.: Cardiac ionic currents and acute ischemia: from channels to arrhythmias. Physiol. Rev. 79, 917–1017 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Colonna, P., Cadeddu, C., Montisci, R., Chen, L., Meloni, L., Iliceto, S.: Transmural heterogeneity of myocardial contraction and ischemia. Diagnosis and clinical implications. Ital Heart J. 1, 174–183 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Foster, D.: Ischemia and Anginal Syndromes. In: Twelve-lead Electrocardiography: Theory and Interpretation. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Ramirez, E., Saiz, J., Trenor, B., Ferrero, J., Molto, G., Hernandez, V.: Influence of 1b ischemic ventricular tissue on the automaticity of purkinje fibers: A simulation study. In: Computers in Cardiology, pp. 617–620 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.www.ibt.kit.edu/acCELLerate.php Cardiac Electrophysiology and Tension Development Software
- 15.Cinca, J., Warren, M., Carreno, A., Tresanchez, M., Armadans, L., Gomez, P., Soler-Soler, J.: Changes in myocardial electrical impedance induced by coronary artery occlusion in pigs with and without preconditioning: correlation with local ST-segment potential and ventricular arrhythmias. Circ. 96, 3079–3086 (1997)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Terkildsen, J., Crampin, E., Smith, N.: The balance between inactivation and activation of the Na + -K + pump underlies the triphasic accumulation of extracellular K + during myocardial ischemia. Am. J. Physiol. 293, H3036–H3045 (2007)Google Scholar