RKOF: Robust Kernel-Based Local Outlier Detection
Outlier detection is an important and attractive problem in knowledge discovery in large data sets. The majority of the recent work in outlier detection follow the framework of Local Outlier Factor (LOF), which is based on the density estimate theory. However, LOF has two disadvantages that restrict its performance in outlier detection. First, the local density estimate of LOF is not accurate enough to detect outliers in the complex and large databases. Second, the performance of LOF depends on the parameter k that determines the scale of the local neighborhood. Our approach adopts the variable kernel density estimate to address the first disadvantage and the weighted neighborhood density estimate to improve the robustness to the variations of the parameter k, while keeping the same framework with LOF. Besides, we propose a novel kernel function named the Volcano kernel, which is more suitable for outlier detection. Experiments on several synthetic and real data sets demonstrate that our approach not only substantially increases the detection performance, but also is relatively scalable in large data sets in comparison to the state-of-the-art outlier detection methods.
KeywordsOutlier detection Kernel methods Local density estimate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rousseeuw, P.J., Leroy, A.M.: Robust Rgression and Outlier Detection. John Wiley and Sons, New York (1987)Google Scholar
- 2.Hawkins, D.: Identification of Outliers. Chapman and Hall, London (1980)Google Scholar
- 3.Silverman, B.: Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis. Chapman and Hall, London (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.Breunig, M.M., Kriegel, H.-P., Ng, R.T., Sander, J.: Lof: Identifying density-based local outliers. In: SIGMOD, pp. 93–104 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Papadimitriou, S., Kitagawa, H., Gibbons, P.: Loci: Fast outlier detection using the local correlation integral. In: ICDE, pp. 315–326 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Yang, J., Zhong, N., Yao, Y., Wang, J.: Local peculiarity factor and its application in outlier detection. In: KDD, pp. 776–784 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Sun, P., Chawla, S.: On local spatial outliers. In: KDD, pp. 209–216 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Lazarevic, A., Kumar, V.: Feature bagging for outlier detection. In: KDD, pp. 157–166 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Abe, N., Zadrozny, B., Langford, J.: Outlier detection by active learning. In: KDD, pp. 504–509 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Jin, W., Tung, A., Ha, J.: Mining top-n local outliers in large databases. In: KDD, pp. 293–298 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Gao, J., Hu, W., Li, W., Zhang, Z.M., Wu, O.: Local Outlier Detection Based on Kernel Regression. In: ICPR, pp. 585–588 (2010)Google Scholar