Nature-Inspired Optimization for Biped Robot Locomotion and Gait Planning
- 1.3k Downloads
Biped locomotion for humanoid robots is a challenging problem that has come into prominence in recent years. As the degrees of freedom of a humanoid robot approaches to that of humans, the need for a better, flexible and robust maneuverability becomes inevitable for real or realistic environments. This paper presents new motion types for a humanoid robot in coronal plane on the basis of Partial Fourier Series model. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time that omni-directionality has been achieved for this motion model. Three different nature-inspired optimization algorithms have been used to improve the gait quality by tuning the parameters of the proposed model. It has been empirically shown that the trajectories of the two specific motion types, namely side walk and diagonal walk, can be successfully improved by using these optimization methods. The best results are obtained by the Simulated Annealing procedure with restarting.
KeywordsBiped robot locomotion gait planning coronal plane sagittal plane omnidirectional locomotion simulated annealing genetic algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Yanjun, Z.: Fuzzy Omnidirectional Walking Controller for the Humanoid Soccer Robot. In: IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Graf, C., Härtl, A., Röfer, T., Laue, T.: A Robust Closed-Loop Gait for the Standard Platform League Humanoid. In: IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Picado, H., Gestal, M., Lau, N., Reis, L.P., Tome, A.M.: Automatic Generation of Biped Walk Behavior Using Genetic Algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conf. on Artificial Neural Networks: Part I: Bio-Inspired Systems: Computational and Ambient Intelligence (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Boedecker, J., Dorer, K., Rollman, M., Xu, Y., Xue, F., Buchta, M., Vatankhah, H.: Simspark Manual (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Aldebaran Official Web Site, http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/
- 9.Shafii, N., Javadi, M.H., Kimiaghalam, B.: A Truncated Fourier Series with Genetic Algorithm for the control of Biped Locomotion. In: Proceeding of the 2009 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 1781–1785 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Russell, S.J., Norvig, P.: Artificial Intelligence, A Modern Approach, 2nd edn. (2003)Google Scholar