Applying Linear Models to Learn Regulation Programs in a Transcription Regulatory Module Network
The module network method has been widely used to infer transcriptional regulatory network from gene expression data. A common strategy of module network learning algorithms is to apply regression trees to infer the regulation program of a module. In this work we propose to apply linear models to fulfill this task. The novelty of our method is to extract the contrast in which a module’s genes are most significantly differentially expressed. Consequently, the process of learning the regulation program for the module becomes one of identifying transcription factors that are also differentially expressed in this contrast. The effectiveness of our algorithm is demonstrated by the experiments in a yeast benchmark dataset.
KeywordsRegression Tree Condition Cluster Module Network Regulation Program Regulatory Relationship
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nitrogen regulation in saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene 290(1-2), 1–18 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Kutner, M.H., Neter, J., Nachtsheim, C.J., Li, W.: Applied Linear Statistical Models. McGraw-Hill Irwin, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Monteiro, P.T., Mendes, N.D., Teixeira, M.C., d’Orey, S., Tenreiro, S., Mira, N.P., Pais, H., Francisco, A.P., Carvalho, A.M., Lourenco, A.B., Sa-Correia, I., Oliveira, A.L., Freitas, A.T.: YEASTRACT-DISCOVERER: new tools to improve the analysis of transcriptional regulatory associations in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucl. Acids Res. 36(suppl. 1), 132–136 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Qi, J., Michoel, T., Butler, G.: A regression tree-based gibbs sampler to learn the regulation programs in a transcription regulatory module network. In: Proceedings of 2010 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, pp. 1–8 (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Smyth, G.K.: Linear models and empirical bayes methods for assessing differential expression in microarray experiments. Stat. Appl. Genet. Mol. Biol. 3 (2004)Google Scholar