Two Iterative Metaheuristic Approaches to Dynamic Memory Allocation for Embedded Systems
Electronic embedded systems designers aim at finding a trade-off between cost and power consumption. As cache memory management has been shown to have a significant impact on power consumption, this paper addresses dynamic memory allocation for embedded systems with a special emphasis on time performance. In this work, time is split into time intervals, into which the application to be implemented by the embedded system requires accessing to data structures. The proposed iterative metaheuristics aim at determining which data structure should be stored in cache memory at each time interval in order to minimize reallocation and conflict costs. These approaches take advantage of metaheuristics previously designed for a static memory allocation problem.
KeywordsMemory allocation Electronics Metaheuristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Wuytack, S., Catthoor, F., Nachtergaele, L., Man, H.D.: Power exploration for data dominated video application. In: Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design, Monterey, CA, USA, pp. 359–364 (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Soto, M., Rossi, A., Sevaux, M.: Exact and metaheuristic approaches for a memory allocation problem. In: Proc. EU/MEeting, Workshop on the Metaheuristics Community, Lorient, France, pp. 25–29 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Softexplorer (2006), [Online] http://www.softexplorer.fr/
- 12.Xpress-mp, FICO (2009), [Online] http://www.dashoptimization.com/
- 14.Besbes, S.F.J.H.: A solution to reduce noise enhancement in pre-whitened lms-type algorithms: the double direction adaptation. In: Proc. Control, Communications and Signal Processing, 2004, pp. 717–720 (2004)Google Scholar
- 18.Porumbel, D.: DIMACS graphs: Benchmark instances and best upper bound (2009), [Online] http://www.info.univ-angers.fr/pub/porumbel/graphs/