Developing Decision Tree for Identification of Critical Voltage Control Areas
Assessing and mitigating problems associated with voltage security remains a critical concern for many power system operators. It is well understood that voltage stability, is driven by the balance of reactive power in a system. Of particular interest is to identify those areas in a system that may suffer reactive power deficiencies. Establishing the reactive power reserve requirements in these areas (VCAs), to ensure system integrity is of paramount importance. The approach is based on a Modal Analysis (MA) combined with Decision Trees (DTs). A database with user-friendly interface for storing/retrieving result of MA for each scenario was designed. The information in the database is used to construct DTs for each of the identified VCAs using key system attributes. In on-line application, the relevant attributes is extracted from a system snapshot and is dropped on DTs to determine which of the pre-determined VCAs can exist in the present system condition.
KeywordsPower System Reactive Power Voltage Stability Energy Management System Contingency Case
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aumuller, C.A., Saha, T.K.: IEEE Trans. Power. Syst. 18, 1157–1164 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Liu, H., Bose, A., Vencatasubramanian, V.: IEEE Trans. Power. Syst. 15, 1137–1141 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Schlueter, R.A.: IEEE Trans. Power. Syst. 13, 1423–1438 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Schlueter, R.A., Liu, S., Ben-Kilian, K.: IEEE Trans. Power. Syst. 15, 1105–1111 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Tovar, G.E., Calderon, J.G., de la Torre, V.E., Nieva, F.I.: Power Systems Conference and Exposition, PSCE 2004, New York City, October 10-13 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Verma, M.K., Srivastava, S.C.: IEE Proc.-Gener. Trans. Distrib. 152, 342–350 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Voltage Stability Assessment: Concepts: Concepts, Practices and Tools. IEEE Power Engineering Society, Power System Stability Subcommittee Special Publication (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhong, J., Nobile, E., Bose, A., Bhattacharya, K.: IEEE Trans. Power Syst. 19, 1555–1561 (2004)Google Scholar