Morphology-Based Method for Reconstruction of Invisible Road Parts on Remote Sensing Imagery and Digitized Maps
Road detection in remote sensing imagery is an important field of interest in remote scene analysis. In complex process of road network extraction one has to cope with many separate problems. One is presence of objects which are similar (or identical) in colour to road surface. Another is absence of some road fragments in the image. In this paper we propose a new approach with use of morphological image processing to address aforementioned issues. Moreover, we claim it works well for road detection on maps. Our experiments prove effectiveness of proposed solution. Along with relative simplicity, our proposal presents a convenient method for road network reconstruction.
KeywordsRoad Network Road Segment Aerial Image Road Detection Morphological Image Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amo, M., Martinez, F., Torre, M.: Road Extraction From Aerial Images Using a Region Competition Algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 15(5) (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Auclair Fortier, M.F., Ziou, D., Armenakis, C., Wang, S.: Survey of Work on Road Extraction in Aerial and Satellite Images. Département de mathématiques et d’informatique, Université de Sherbrooke, Technical Report no. 247 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Bajcsy, R., Tavakoli, M.: Computer recognition of roads from satellite pictures. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics SMC-6(9) (1976)Google Scholar
- 4.Geman, D., Jedynak, B.: An Active Testing Model for Tracking Roads in Satellite Images. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 18(1) (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Hu, J., Razdan, A., Femiani, J.C., Cui, M., Wonka, P.: Road Network Extraction and Intersection Detection from Aerial Images by Tracking Road Footprints. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 45(12) (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Mokhtarzade, M., Valadan Zoej, M.J.: Road detection from high-resolution satellite images using artificial neural networks. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 9 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Negri, M., Gamba, P., Lisini, G., Tupin, F.: Junction-Aware Extraction and Regularization of Urban Road Networks in High-Resolution SAR Images. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 44(10) (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Peteri, R., Celle, J., Ranchin, T.: Detection and Extraction of Road Networks from High Resolution Satellite Images. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Spain (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Shi, W., Zhu, C.: The Line Segment Match Method for Extracting Road Network From High-Resolution Satellite Images. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 40(2) (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Tupin, F., Maitre, H., Mangin, J.F., Nicolas, J.M., Pechersky, E.: Detection of Linear Features in SAR Images: Application to Road Network Extraction. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 36(2) (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhou, J., Bischof, W.F., Caelli, T.: Robust and efficient road tracking in aerial images. In: CMRT 2005, IAPRS, Austria, vol. 36 (2005)Google Scholar