Over-Segmentation Based Background Modeling and Foreground Detection with Shadow Removal by Using Hierarchical MRFs
In this paper, we propose a novel over-segmentation based method for the detection of foreground objects from a surveillance video by integrating techniques of background modeling and Markov Random Fields classification. Firstly, we introduce a fast affinity propagation clustering algorithm to produce the over-segmentation of a reference image by taking into account color difference and spatial relationship between pixels. A background model is learned by using Gaussian Mixture Models with color features of the segments to represent the time-varying background scene. Next, each segment is treated as a node in a Markov Random Field and assigned a state of foreground, shadow and background, which is determined by using hierarchical belief propagation. The relationship between neighboring regions is also considered to ensure spatial coherence of segments. Finally, we demonstrate experimental results on several image sequences to show the effectiveness and robustness of the proposed method.
KeywordsLocal Binary Pattern Background Modeling Foreground Object Shadow Detection Background Scene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stauffer, C., Grimson, W.: Adaptive background mixture models for real-time tracking. In: IEEE Conference on CVPR, vol. 2, p. 252 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Paragios, N., Ramesh, V.: A mrf-based approach for real-time subway monitoring. In: IEEE Conference on CVPR, vol. 1, pp. I–1034–I–1040 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Matsuyama, T., Ohya, T., Habe, H.: Background subtraction for nonstationary scenes. In: Proceedings of ACCV, pp. 662–667 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Migdal, J., Grimson, W.E.L.: Background subtraction using markov thresholds. In: IEEE Workshop on Motion and Video Computing, vol. 2, pp. 58–65 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Zeng, H.C., Lai, S.H.: Adaptive foreground object extraction for real-time video surveillance with lighting variations. In: ICASSP, pp. I–1201–I–1204 (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Li, L., Huang, W., Gu, I.Y.H., Tian, Q.: Statistical modeling of complex backgrounds for foreground object detection. IEEE Transactions on IP 13, 1459–1472 (2004)Google Scholar