Stress and energy flow field near a rapidly propagating mode I crack
Crack branching and instability phenomena are believed to be closely related to the circumferential or hoop stress in the vicinity of the crack tip. In this paper we show that the hoop stress around a mode I crack in a harmonic solid becomes bimodal at a critical speed of about 73 percent of the Rayleigh speed, in agreement with the continuum mechanics theory. Additionally, we compare the energy flow field predicted by continuum theory with the solution of molecular-dynamics simulations and show that the two approaches yield comparable results for the dynamic Poynting vector field. This study exemplifies joint atomistic and continuum modelling of nanoscale dynamic systems and yields insight into coupling of the atomistic scale with continuum mechanics concepts.
KeywordsHoop Stress Continuum Mechanic Theory Rayleigh Velocity Rayleigh Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AT89]M.P. Allen and D.J. Tildesley. Computer Simulation of Liquids. Oxford University Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Bak62]B.R. Baker. Dynamic stresses created by a moving crack. Journal of Applied Mechanics29:567–5781962.Google Scholar
- [BC00]A. Boresi and K. P. Chong. Elasticity in Engineering Mechanics. Wiley-Interscience, New York2nd edition2000.Google Scholar
- [BGH03b]M.J. Buehler, H. Gao, and Y. Huang. Continuum and atomistic studies of the near-crack field of a rapidly propagating crack in a harmonic lattice. Theor. Appl. Fract. Mech., in press, 2003.Google Scholar
- [BH56]M. Born and K. Huang. Dynamical Theories of Crystal Lattices. Clarendon, Oxford1956.Google Scholar
- [Fre90]L.B. Freund. Dynamic Fracture Mechanics. Cambridge University Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Hua02]K. Huang. On the atomic theory of elasticity. Proc. R. Soc. London203:178–1942002.Google Scholar
- [MG95]M. Marder and S. Gross. Origin of crack tip instabilities. J. Mech. Phys. Solids43(1):1–481995.Google Scholar
- [We i83]
- [Zim99]J. Zimmermann. Continuum and atomistic modelling of dislocation nucleation at crystal surface ledges. PhD thesis, Stanford University, 1999.Google Scholar
- [ZKHG98]P. Zhang, P. Klein, Y. Huang, and H. Gao. Numerical simulation of cohesive fracture by the virtual-internal-bond model. CMES-Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences3(2):263–2771998.Google Scholar