Software Tools for Multigrid Methods
This chapter provides a tutorial for the multigrid solver module in Diffpack. With the MGtools class or the NonLinMGtools class, a standard Diffpack finite element application code can be equipped with a flexible multigrid solver by adding about 10 lines of extra code. The applications covered here are the Poisson equation, more general elliptic problems with anisotropic or jumping coefficients and various boundary conditions, the equation of linear elasticity, and a nonlinear Poisson-like problem.
KeywordsCoarse Grid Fine Grid Multigrid Method Grid Level Menu Item
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Braess. Finite elements; Theory, fast solvers, and applications in solid mechanics. Cambridge University Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.J. H. Bramble. Multigrid Methods, volume 294 of Pitman Research Notes in Mathematical Sciences. Longman Scientific & Technical, Essex, England, 1Google Scholar
- 4.W. L. Briggs, V. E. Henson, and S. F. McCormick. A Multigrid Tutorial. SIAM Books, 2nd edition, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.A. M. Bruaset. A Survey of Preconditioned Iterative Methods. Addison-Wesley Pitman, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.A. M. Bruaset, H. P. Langtangen, and G. W. Zumbusch. Domain decomposition and multilevel methods in Diffpack. In P. Bjørstad, M. Espedal, and D. Keyes, editors, Proceedings of the 9th Conference on Domain Decomposition. Wiley, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.W. Hackbusch. Iterative Solution of Large Sparse Systems of Equations. Springer-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.H. P. Langtangen. Tips and frequently asked questions about Diffpack. Numerical Objects Report Series, Numerical Objects A.S., 1999. See URL http://www.diffpack.com/products/faq/faq-.main.html. Google Scholar
- 10.H. P. Langtangen. Computational Partial Differential Equations-Numerical Methods and Diffpack Programming. Textbooks in Computational Science and Engineering. Springer, 2nd edition, 2003.Google Scholar
- 11.K.-A. Mardal and H. P. Langtangen. Mixed finite elements. In H. P. Langtangen and A. Tveito, editors, Advanced Topics in Computational Partial Differential Equations-Numerical Methods and Diffpack Programming. Springer, 2003.Google Scholar
- 12.K.-A. Mardal, J. Sundnes, H. P. Langtangen, and A. Z Tveito. Systems of PDEs and block preconditioning. In H. P. Langtangen and A. Tveito, editors, Advanced Topics in Computational Partial Differential Equations-Numerical Methods and Diffpack Programming. Springer, 2003.Google Scholar
- 13.U. Trottenberg, C. Oosterlee, and A. Schuller. Multigrid. Academic Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- 15.G. W. Zumbush. Multigrid methods in Diffpack. Technical report, 1996.Google Scholar