Large-scale parallel computations are more common than ever, due to the increasing availability of multi-processor systems. However, writing parallel software is often a complicated and error-prone task. To relieve Diffpack users of the tedious and low-level technical details of parallel programming, we have designed a set of new software modules, tools, and programming rules, which will be the topic of the present chapter.
KeywordsParallel Computing Message Passing Logical Topology Member Function Finite Element Grid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.X. Cai. Overlapping domain decomposition methods. In H. P. Langtangen and A. Tveito, editors, Advanced Topics in Computational Partial Differential Equations-Numerical Methods and Diffpack Programming. Springer, 2003.Google Scholar
- 3.Message Passing Interface Forum. MPI: A message-passing interface standard. Internat. J. Supercomputer Appl., 8:159–416, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.I. Foster. Designing and Building Parallel Programs. Addison-Wesley, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Karypis and V. Kumar. Metis: Unstructured graph partitioning and sparse matrix ordering system. Technical report, Department of Computer Science, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.H. P. Langtangen. Computational Partial Differential Equations-Numerical Methods and Diffpack Programming. Textbooks in Computational Science and Engineering. Springer, 2nd edition, 2003.Google Scholar
- 7.D.J. Lilja. Measuring Computer Performance-A Pratitioner’s Guide. Cambridge University Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.P.S. Pacheco. Parallel Programming with MPI. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.E.F. Van de Velde. Concurrent Scientific Computing. Springer-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar