Knowledge Abstraction in Chinese Chess Endgame Databases
Retrograde analysis is a well known approach to construct endgame databases. However, the size of the endgame databases are too large to be loaded into the main memory of a computer during tournaments. In this paper, a novel knowledge abstraction strategy is proposed to compress endgame databases. The goal is to obtain succinct knowledge for practical endgames. A specialized goal-oriented search method is described and applied on the important endgame KRKNMM. The method of combining a search algorithm with a small size of knowledge is used to handle endgame positions up to a limited depth, but with a high degree of correctness.
KeywordsSuccess State Intelligent Tutoring System Symmetric Position Human Player Knowledge Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chen, J.C., Hsu, S.C.: Construction of online query system of opening database in computer Chinese chess. In: The 11th Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Applications (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Contemplation: A Chinese chess program (2003), http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/program.php?id=112
- 8.Tu, C. M.: Xiang Qi Can Ju Li Dian (A dictionary of Chinese chess endgames). Shang Hai Wen Yi Publishing House (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.Wang, C. L., Li, C. C., Wang, G. S.: Xiang Qi Can Ju Ta Chuan (A collection of Chinese chess endgames). Cheng Tu Shih Tai Publishing House (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Chang, T. Y.: Xiang Qi Da Sai Can Ju Li Xi (Comments on endgames in master games of Chinese chess). Chin Tun Publishing House (2000)Google Scholar