Characterizing User Behavior and Network Load on a Large-Scale Wireless Mesh Network
Wireless mesh networks represent a promising paradigm to provide a scalable infrastructure for Internet access in metropolitan areas. In this paper, a large-scale wireless mesh testbed deployed in three cities in the Trentino region is described and experimentation results obtained from the public use of the testbed are reported and analyzed. The large-scale of the deployment and high number of users ensure to have proper traces which can capture the trends in user traffic based on the applications used and realistic mobility patterns.
Keywordsmesh testbed large-scale wireless mesh networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balanchandran, A., Voelker, G.M., Bahl, P., Rangan, P.V.: Characterizing user behavior and network performance in a public wireless LAN. In: Proceedings of the 2002 ACM SIGMETRICS International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, Marina Del Rey, California, June 15-19 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Afanasyev, M., Chen, T., Voelker, G.M., Snoeren, A.C.: Analysis of a mixed-use urban wifi network: when metropolitan becomes Neapolitan. In: Proceedings of the 8th ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement, Vouliagmeni, Greece, October 20-22 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Mulder, S., Yaar, Z.: The user is always right: a pratical guide to creating and using personas for the web. New Riders Publishing (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Bicket, J., Aguayo, D., Biswas, S., Morris, R.: Architecture and evaluation of an unplanned 802.11b mesh network. In: ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom) (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Wireless mesh networking, Carleton University, http://kunz-pc.sce.carleton.ca/MESH/index.htm
- 8.Wireless Geographic Logging Engine: Making maps of wireless networks since (2001), http://wigle.net/
- 9.Blogfest (2009), http://www.blogfest.it/
- 10.HotSpot Management without the Pain, http://www.coova.org