Compressed-Domain Shot Boundary Detection for H.264/AVC Using Intra Partitioning Maps
In this paper, a novel technique for shot boundary detection operating on H.264/AVC-compressed sequences is presented. Due to new and improved coding tools in H.264/AVC, the characteristics of the obtained sequences differ from former video coding standards. Although several algorithms working on this new standard are already proposed, the presence of IDR frames can still lead to a low accuracy for abrupt transitions. To solve this issue, we present the motion-compensated intra partitioning map which relies on the intra partitioning modes and the motion vectors present in the compressed video stream. Experimental results show that this motion-compensated map achieves a high accuracy and exceeds related work.
KeywordsShot boundary detection video analysis compressed domain H.264/AVC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arman, F., Depommier, R., Hsu, A., Chiu, M.Y.: Content-based browsing of video sequences. In: Proceedings of ACM Multimedia, pp. 97–103 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.De Bruyne, S., Van Deursen, D., De Cock, J., De Neve, W., Lambert, P., Van de Walle, R.: A compressed-domain approach for shot boundary detection on H.264/AVC bit streams. Signal Processing: Image Communication - Semantic Analysis for Interactive Multimedia Services 23(7), 473–498 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.ISO/IEC: Description of MPEG-7 content set. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WGll/N2467 (October 1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Jacobs, A., Miene, A., Ioannidis, G.T., Herzog, O.: Automatic shot boundary detection combining color, edge, and motion features of adjacent frames. In: TRECVID 2004 Workshop Notebook Papers, pp. 197–206 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Kuo, T.Y., Lo, Y.C.: Detection of H.264 shot change using intra predicted direction. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Information Hiding and Multimedia Signal Processing, pp. 204–207 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, Y., Wang, W., Gao, W., Zeng, W.: A novel compressed domain shot segmentation algorithm on H.264/AVC. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 4, pp. 2235–2238 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Zeng, W., Gao, W.: Shot change detection on H.264/AVC compressed video. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, vol. 4, pp. 3459–3462 (2005)Google Scholar