A Generalized Coding Artifacts and Noise Removal Algorithm for Digitally Compressed Video Signals
- 1.2k Downloads
A generalized coding artifact reduction algorithm is proposed for a variety of artifacts, including blocking artifact, ringing artifact and mosquito noise. This algorithm does not require grid position detection and any coding parameters. All the filtering is based on local content analysis. Basically, the algorithm attempts to apply mild low-pass filtering on more informative regions to preserve the sharpness of the object details, and to apply strong low-pass filtering on less informative regions to remove severe artifacts. The size and parameters of the low-pass filters are changed continuously based on the entropy of a local region.
KeywordsCoding artifacts removal noise reduction entropy analysis content adaptive filter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kim, S., Yi, J., Kim, H., Ra, J.: A deblocking filter with two separate modes in block-based video coding. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 9 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Pan, F., Lin, X., Rahardja, S., Lin, W., Ong, E., Yao, S., Lu, Z., Yang, X.: A locally-adaptive algorithm for measuring blocking artifacts in images and videos. In: IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Tai, S., Chen, Y., Sheu, S.: Deblocking filter for low bit rate MPEG-4 video. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 15 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Kirenko, I., Muijs, R., Shao, L.: Coding artifact reduction using non-reference block grid visibility measure. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, Toronto, Canada (July 2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Kong, H.-S., Vetro, A., Sun, H.: Edge map guided adaptive post-filter for blocking and ringing artifacts removal. In: Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, vol. 3, pp. 929–932 (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Kirenko, I.: Reduction of coding artifacts using chrominance and luminance spatial analysis. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Las Vegas, USA (January 2006)Google Scholar