Self-adapting Applications Based on QA Requirements in the Cloud Using Market-Based Heuristics
There are several situations where applications in the cloud need to self-manage their quality attributes (QA). We posit that self-adaptation can be achieved through a market-based approach and describe a marketplace for web-services. We simulate agents trading web-services on behalf of self-managing applications and demonstrate that such a mechanism leads to a good allocation of web-services to applications, even when applications dynamically change their QA requirements. We conclude with a discussion on evaluating this mechanism of self-adaptation, with regards to scalability in the cloud.
Keywordsself-adaptation web-services quality attributes cloud
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anselmi, J., Ardagna, D., Cremonesi, P.: A qos-based selection approach of autonomic grid services. In: Proceedings of the 2007 Workshop on Service-Oriented Computing Performance: Aspects, Issues, and Approaches, SOCP 2007, pp. 1–8. ACM, New York (2007), http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1272457.1272458 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Cliff, D., Bruten, J.: Less than human: Simple adaptive trading agents for cda markets. Tech. rep., Hewlett-Packard (1997), http://www.hpl.hp.com/agents/papers/less_than_human.pdf
- 8.Hellerstein, J.: Engineering Self-Organizing Systems, p. 1 (2007), http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-74917-2_1
- 9.Nallur, V., Bahsoon, R., Yao, X.: Self-optimizing architecture for ensuring quality attributes in the cloud. In: Proceedings of the 7th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA 2009), Cambridge, UK, September 14-17 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.von Neumann, J., Morgenstern, O.: Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, 3rd edn. Princeton University Press, Princeton (January 1953)Google Scholar
- 11.Trofin, M., Murphy, J.: A Self-Optimizing container design for enterprise java beans applications. In: Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Dynamic Analysis, WODA 2004 (2003), http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary, doi=10.1.1.59.2979
- 12.Wang, J., Guo, C., Liu, F.: Self-healing based software architecture modeling and analysis through a case study. In: Proceedings of IEEE on Networking, Sensing and Control, pp. 873–877 (2005), http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICNSC.2005.1461307
- 13.Yu, T., Zhang, Y., Lin, K.J.: Efficient algorithms for web services selection with end-to-end qos constraints. ACM Trans. Web. 1(1), 6 (2007)Google Scholar