Segmentation of Inter-neurons in Three Dimensional Brain Imagery
Segmentation of neural cells in three dimensional fluorescence microscopy images is a challenging image processing problem. In addition to being important to neurobiologists, accurate segmentation is a vital component of an automated image processing system. Due to the complexity of the data, particularly the extreme irregularity in neural cell shape, generic segmentation techniques do not perform well. This paper presents a novel segmentation technique for segmenting neural cells in three dimensional images. Accuracy rates of over 90% are reported on a data set of 100 images containing over 130 neural cells and subsequently validated using a novel data set of 64 neurons.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alavi, A., Cavanagh, B., Tuxworth, G., Meedeniya, A., Mackay-Sim, A., Blumenstein, M.: Automated classification of dopaminergic neurons in the rodent brain. Presented at the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Atlanta (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Fernandez, G., Zyrd, J.P., Kunt, M.: A New Plant Cell Image Segmentation Algorithm. Presented at the ICIAP (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Jarkrans, T.: Algorithms for Cell Image Analysis in Cytology and Pathology. Faculty of Science and Technology, Uppsala University, Sweden (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Byriel, J.: Neuro-Fuzzy Classification of Cells in Cervical Smears. Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Nguyen, M.N., Cavanagh, B., Davenport, T., Norazit, A., Meedeniya, A.: Tissue processing for epifluoresence microscopy. In: Méndez-Vilas, A., Diaz, J. (eds.) Microscopy: Science, Technology, Applications and Education, vol. 4, Formatex, Badajoz (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Long, F., et al.: Automatic Segmentation of Nuclei in 3D Microscopy Images of C.Elegans. In: 4th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, ISBI 2007, pp. 536–539 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Cai, H., et al.: Using nonlinear diffusion and mean shift to detect and connect cross-sections of axons in 3D optical microscopy images. Medical Image Analysis 12 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Yu, W., et al.: Segmentation of Neural Stem/Progenitor Cells Nuclei within 3-D Neurospheres. In: Advances in Visual Computing, pp. 531–543 (2009)Google Scholar