Consecutive S-box Lookups: A Timing Attack on SNOW 3G
We present a cache-timing attack on the SNOW 3G stream cipher. The attack has extremely low complexity and we show it is capable of recovering the full cipher state from empirical timing data in a matter of seconds, requiring no known keystream and only observation of a small number of cipher clocks. The attack exploits the cipher using the output from an S-box as input to another S-box: we show that the corresponding cache-timing data almost uniquely determines said S-box input. We mention other ciphers with similar structure where this attack applies, such as the K2 cipher currently under standardization consideration by ISO. Our results yield new insights into the secure design and implementation of ciphers with respect to side-channels. We also give results of a bit-slice implementation as a countermeasure.
Keywordsside-channel attacks cache-timing attacks stream ciphers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Berbain, C., Billet, O., Canteaut, A., Courtois, N., Gilbert, H., Goubin, L., Gouget, A., Granboulan, L., Lauradoux, C., Minier, M., Pornin, T., Sibert, H.: Sosemanuk, a fast software-oriented stream cipher. In: Robshaw, M.J.B., Billet, O. (eds.) New Stream Cipher Designs. LNCS, vol. 4986, pp. 98–118. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.ETSI/SAGE: Specification of the 3GPP confidentiality and integrity algorithms UEA2 & UIA2. Document 2: SNOW 3G specification. Version 1.1. Tech. rep. (2006), http://gsmworld.com/documents/snow_3g_spec.pdf
- 8.Koç, Ç.K. (ed.): Cryptographic Engineering. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Kiyomoto, S., Tanaka, T., Sakurai, K.: K2: A stream cipher algorithm using dynamic feedback control. In: Hernando, J., Fernández-Medina, E., Malek, M. (eds.) SECRYPT, pp. 204–213. INSTICC Press (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Paar, C.: Efficient VLSI Architectures for Bit-Parallel Computation in Galois Fields. Ph.D. thesis, Institute for Experimental Mathematics, Universität Essen, Germany (1994)Google Scholar