Preserving Energy Using Link Protocol in Wireless Networks
A sensor node is equipped with a limited energy source and hence has a lifetime dependent on that source. In a wireless sensor network, each node can originate data and also has to route data. When a few nodes deplete their energy resources, topology changes occur which may require rerouting of data packets. An Automatic Repeat reQuest (ARQ) protocol uses a mechanism to improve transmission reliability of a communication link by means of packet retransmission. The purpose of this work is to design a link quality aware ARQ protocol which only retransmits packets only when it gets acknowledgement from the receiver i.e. only when link is good. The protocol makes necessary comparisons through simulations and draw conclusions based on the results obtained. The main aim of this study is to determine a protocol that is efficient in terms of preserving the limited energy supply for sensor nodes and use a SimpleLink module for this purpose. The SimpleLink module consists of a transmitter and sender both will Adopt ARQ transmission protocol.
KeywordsARQ Link aware Slot time Sensor networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Dananjay, L., Manjeshwar, A., Herrmann, F., Uysal-Biyikoglu, E., Keshavarzian, A.: Measurement and Characterization of Link Quality Metrics in Energy Constrained Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM 2003), pp. 446–452 (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Heinzelman, W., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy-Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the 33rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Hawaii, USA, January 4-7, p. 110 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Guo, C., Venkatesha Prasad, R., Pawełczak, P., Hekmat, R.: Designing Energy Efficient Automatic Repeat Request Protocol in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: ACM 978-1-60558-741-7/09/09 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.The Network Simulator – ns-2, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 10.Introduction to Network Simulator, Springer book publications, TOT Public Company Limited, Ekram Hossain Department of Electrical & Computer EngineeringGoogle Scholar