A Novel Approach to Propagating Distrust
Trust propagation is a fundamental topic of study in the theory and practice of ranking and recommendation systems on networks. The Page Rank  algorithm ranks web pages by propagating trust throughout a network, and similar algorithms have been designed for recommendation systems. How might one analogously propagate distrust as well? This is a question of practical importance and mathematical intrigue (see, e.g., ). However, it has proven challenging to model distrust propagation in a manner which is both logically consistent and psychologically plausible. We propose a novel and simple extension of the Page Rank equations, and argue that it naturally captures most types of distrust that are expressed in such networks. We give an efficient algorithm for implementing the system and prove desirable properties of the system.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andersen, R., Borgs, C., Chayes, J., Feige, U., Flaxman, A., Kalai, A., Mirrokni, V., Tennenholtz, M.: Trust-based recommendation systems: an axiomatic approach. In: WWW 2008: Proceeding of the 17th International Conference on World Wide Web, pp. 199–208 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Guha, R., Kumar, R., Raghavan, P., Tomkins, A.: Propagation of trust and distrust. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on World Wide Web, pp. 403–412 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Haveliwala, T.: Topic-sensitive pagerank. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on World Wide Web, pp. 517–526 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Kamvar, S., Schlosser, M., Garcia-Molina, H.: The EigenTrust algorithm for reputation management in P2P networks. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on World Wide Web, pp. 640–651 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.de Kerchove, C., Dooren, P.: The Page Trust algorithm: how to rank web pages when negative links are allowed? In: Proc. SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining, pp. 346–352 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Kunegis, J., Lommatzsch, A., Bauckhage, C.: The slashdot zoo: mining a social network with negative edges. In: WWW 2009: Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on World Wide Web, pp. 741–750 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Page, L., Brin, S., Motwani, R., Winograd, T.: The pagerank citation ranking: Bringing order to the web. Technical Report, Stanford University (1998)Google Scholar