Near-Strong Equilibria in Network Creation Games
We introduce a new solution concept for games, near-strong equilibrium, a variation of strong equilibrium. Previous work has shown the existence of 2-strong pure strategy equilibrium for network creation games with 1 < α< 2 and that k-strong equilibrium for k ≥ 3 does not exist. In this paper we show that 3-near-strong equilibrium exists, and provide tight bounds on existence of k-near-strong equilibria for k ≥ 4. Then we repeat our analysis for correlated mixed strategies, where we show that, surprisingly, 3-correlated-strong equilibrium exists, and also show bounds for existence of correlated k-strong equilibria. Moreover, the equilibrium profile can be arbitrarily close to the social optimum. For both pure and correlated settings, we show examples where no equilibrium exists. On the conceptual level, our work contributes to the recent literature of extensions of strong equilibrium, while providing positive results for stability against group deviations in one of the basic settings discussed in the algorithmic game theory literature.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Albers et al., 2006]Albers, S., Eilts, S., Even-dar, E., Mansour, Y., Roditty, L.: On nash equilibria for a network creation game. In: Proc. of SODA, pp. 89–98 (2006)Google Scholar
- [Andelman et al., 2009]
- [Aumann, 1959]Aumann, R.J.: Acceptable points in general cooperative n-person games. In: Tucker, A.W., Luce, R.D. (eds.) Contribution to the Theory of Games, IV. Annals of Mathematics Studies, vol. 40, pp. 287–324 (1959)Google Scholar
- [Aumann, 1974]
- [Bernheim et al., 1987]
- [Eén and Sörensson, 2003]
- [Fabrikant et al., 2003]
- [Kalai et al., 2007]Kalai, A.T., Kalai, E., Lehrer, E., Samet, D.: Voluntary commitments lead to efficiency. Discussion Papers 1444, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science (April 2007), http://ideas.repec.org/p/nwu/cmsems/1444.html
- [Kaplan, 1992]Kaplan, G.: Sophisticated outcomes and coalitional stability. M.sc. thesis, Dept. of Statistics, Tel. Aviv. University (1992)Google Scholar
- [Milgrom and Roberts, 1994]Milgrom, P., Roberts, J.: Strongly coalition-proof equilibria in games with strategic complementarities. Working Papers 95002, Stanford University, Department of Economics (1994)Google Scholar
- [Rozenfeld and Tennenholtz, 2006]Rozenfeld, O., Tennenholtz, M.: Strong and Correlated Strong Equilibria in Monotone Congestion Games. In: Proc. of 2nd International Workshop on Internet & Network Economics (2006)Google Scholar
- [Rozenfeld and Tennenholtz, 2007]Rozenfeld, O., Tennenholtz, M.: Routing Mediators. In: Proc. 20th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (2007)Google Scholar