Stackelberg Strategies for Network Design Games
We consider the Network Design game introduced by Anshelevich et al.  in which n source-destination pairs must be connected by n respective players equally sharing the cost of the used links. By considering the classical Open image in new window social function corresponding to the total network cost, it is well known that the price of anarchy for this class of games may be as large as n. One approach for reducing this bound is that of resorting on the Stackelberg model in which for a subset of \(\lfloor \alpha n \rfloor\) coordinated players, with 0 ≤ α ≤ 1, communication paths inducing better equilibria are fixed. In this paper we show the effectiveness of Stackelberg strategies by providing optimal and nearly optimal bounds on the performance achievable by such strategies. In particular, differently from previous works, we are also able to provide Stackelberg strategies computable in polynomial time and lowering the price of anarchy from n to \(2 \left( \frac 1 \alpha + 1 \right)\). Most of the results are extended to the social function Open image in new window , in which the maximum player cost is considered.
KeywordsNash Equilibrium Destination Node Steiner Tree Congestion Game Stackelberg Strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Byrka, J., Grandoni, F., Rothvoß, T., Sanità, L.: An improved lp-based approximation for steiner tree. In: STOC, pp. 583–592 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Charikar, M., Karloff, H.J., Mathieu, C., Naor, J., Saks, M.E.: Online multicast with egalitarian cost sharing. In: SPAA, pp. 70–76 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Chekuri, C., Chuzhoy, J., Lewin-Eytan, L., Naor, J., Orda, A.: Non-cooperative multicast and facility location games. In: ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce, pp. 72–81 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, H.-L., Roughgarden, T., Valiant, G.: Designing networks with good equilibria. In: SODA, pp. 854–863 (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Sharma, Y., Williamson, D.P.: Stackelberg thresholds in network routing games or the value of altruism. In: ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce, pp. 93–102 (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Swamy, C.: The effectiveness of stackelberg strategies and tolls for network congestion games. In: SODA, pp. 1133–1142 (2007)Google Scholar