Cooperative Virtual Memory for Sensor Nodes
Wireless sensor networks (WSN) have unique challenges and constraints. Sensor nodes e.g. have tough memory limitations. However, the latest advances in WSN research direct for an implementation of lightweight versions of Internet protocols like IPv6, TCP, and HTTP on sensor nodes. These protocols have challenging requirements. Especially, memory consumption of these protocols is often higher than the physical RAM that microcontrollers have integrated. Therefore, we suggest an approach for virtual memory providing more memory than the available RAM. As microcontrollers do not include a memory management unit the usage of memory is implemented in cooperative fashion based on the C standard library function malloc and free. We suggest an underlying file system and a hardware abstraction layer to support various external or internal memory devices like Flash or EEPROM. In this work in progress we present an API, some implementation details and preliminary results including future work.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Virtualization Application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dunkels, A., Grönvall, B., Voigt, T.: Contiki - a lightweight and flexible operating system for tiny networked sensors. In: Proceedings of the First IEEE Workshop on Embedded Networked Sensors (Emnets-I), Tampa, Florida, USA (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Dwivedi, A.K., Tiwari, M.K., Vyas, O.P.: Operating systems for tiny networked sensors: A survey. Int. Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering 1, 152–157 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Gu, L., Stankovic, J.A.: t-kernel: providing reliable os support to wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, SenSys 2006, pp. 1–14. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Han, C.-C., Kumar, R., Shea, R., Kohler, E., Srivastava, M.: Sos: A dynamic operating system for sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the Third Int. Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, And Services (Mobisys). ACM Press, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Levis, P., Madden, S., Polastre, J., Szewczyk, R., Whitehouse, K., Woo, A., Gay, D., Hill, J., Welsh, M., Brewer, E., Culler, D.: Tinyos: An operating system for sensor networks. In: Weber, W., Rabaey, J.M., Aarts, E. (eds.) Ambient Intelligence, pp. 115–148. Springer, Heidelberg (2005), doi:10.1007/3-540-27139-2_7CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Of, M.N., Abrach, H., Carlson, J., Dai, H., Rose, J., Sheth, A., Shucker, B., Han, R.: Mantis: System support for. In: 2nd ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications (WSNA), pp. 50–59 (2003)Google Scholar