Mobile Application Market: A Mobile Network Operators’ Perspective
The mobile telecommunication market has recently been shaken by the arrival of new actors, such as Apple and Google. As a consequence, the relatively well-established mobile network operators (MNO) have to rethink their position in the market if they want to participate in the growth of mobile telecommunication revenues. Mobile applications and services are being seen as great opportunity of new revenue sources. However, with the current market structure, MNOs do not hold a privileged position compared to mobile platforms providers such as Apple with iTunes. In this paper, we assess whether or not there is still space in the mobile application market for MNOs. In order to do so, we examine different roles in the mobile application value chain and determine how MNOs can position themselves in this turbulent new market. Our analysis shows that MNOs will have to focus on their core business as network provider and establish alliances with platform providers.
KeywordsMobile network operators mobile application development
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adrian, B.: Overview of the Mobile Payments Market 2002 – 2007, Gartner (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Ballon, P., Walravens, N., Spedalieri, A., Venezia, C.: The Reconfiguration of Mobile Service Provision: Towards Platform Business Models. In: Proceedings of ICIN 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Walden, P., Han, S., Carlsson, C., Majlender, P.: The Sleeping Giant – A Longitudinal Study Surveying the Mobile Service Market in Finland. In: Proceedings of the Fifteenth European Conference on Information Systems, ECIS 2007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Gartner, http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=910112 (accessed in June 2009)
- 13.Shapiro, C., Varian, H.R.: Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy. Harvard Business School Press, Boston (November 1998)Google Scholar