MP-EDA: A Robust Estimation of Distribution Algorithm with Multiple Probabilistic Models for Global Continuous Optimization
Extending Estimation of distribution algorithms (EDAs) to the continuous field is a promising and challenging task. With a single probabilistic model, most existing continuous EDAs usually suffer from the local stagnation or a low convergence speed. This paper presents an enhanced continuous EDA with multiple probabilistic models (MP-EDA). In the MP-EDA, the population is divided into two subpopulations. The one involved by histogram model is used to roughly capture the global optima, whereas the other involved by Gaussian model is aimed at finding highly accurate solutions. During the evolution, a migration operation is periodically carried out to exchange some best individuals of the two subpopulations. Besides, the MP-EDA adaptively adjusts the offspring size of each subpopulation to improve the searching efficiency. The effectiveness of the MP-EDA is investigated by testing ten benchmark functions. Compared with several state-of-the-art evolutionary computations, the proposed algorithm can obtain better results in most test cases.
KeywordsEstimation of Distribution Algorithm Evolutionary Computation Histogram Multivariate Gaussian Distribution Global Optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baluja, S.: Population-based incremental learning: a method for integrating genetic search based function optimization and competitive learning. Technical report CMU-CS-94-163, Carnegie Mellon University (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Larrañaga, P., Etxeberria, R., Lozano, J.A., Peňa, J.M.: Optimization in continuous domains by learning and simulation of Gaussian networks. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference 2000, Las Vegas, Nevada (July 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Paul, T.K., Iba, H.: Real-Coded Estimation of Distribution Algorithm. In: Proceedings of The Fifth Metaheuristics International Conference (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Yuan, B., Gallagher, M.: Experimental results for the special session on real-parameter optimization at CEC 2005: a simple, continuous EDA. In: Proc. of Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 2005), vol. 2, pp. 1792–1799 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Tsutsui, S., Pelikan, M., Goldberg, D.E.: Evolutionary algorithm using marginal histogram models in continuous domain. IlliGAL Report No. 2001019, UIUC (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Auger, A., Hansen, N.: Performance evaluation of an advanced local search evolutionary algorithm. In: Proc. of IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 2005), vol. 2, pp. 1777–1784 (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 16.yuan, B., Gallagher, M.: On the importance of diversity maintenance in estimation of distribution algorithms. In: Proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference-GECCO-2005, pp. 719–726. ACM, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Suganthan, P.N., Hansen, N., Liang, J.J., Deb, K., Chen, Y.-P., Auger, A., Tiwari, S.: Problem Definitions and Evaluation Criteria for the CEC 2005 Special Session on Real-Parameter Optimization. Nanyang Technol. Univ., Singapore, IIT Kanpur, India, KanGAL Rep. 2005005 (May 2005)Google Scholar