Computer-Generated Tie-Dyeing Using a 3D Diffusion Graph
Hand dyeing generates artistic representations with unique and complex patterns. The aesthetics of dyed patterns on a cloth originate from the physical properties of dyeing in the cloth and the geometric operations of the cloth. Although many artistic representations have been studied in the field of non-photorealistic rendering, dyeing remains a challenging and attractive topic. In this paper, we propose a new framework for simulating dyeing techniques that considers the geometry of the folded cloth. Our simulation framework of dyeing in folded woven cloth is based on a novel dye transfer model that considers diffusion, adsorption, and supply. The dye transfer model is discretized on a 3D graph to approximate the folded woven cloth designed by user interactions. We also develop new methods for dip dyeing and tie-dyeing effects. Comparisons of our simulated results with real dyeing demonstrate that our simulation is capable of representing characteristics of dyeing.
KeywordsPress Function Texture Synthesis Dyeing Process Artistic Representation Geometric Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wada, Y.I.: Memory on Cloth (Shibori Now). Kodansha International Ltd (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Polakoff, C.: The art of tie and dye in africa. African Arts, African Studies Centre 4 (1971)Google Scholar
- 3.Sakakibara, A.: Nihon Dento Shibori no Waza (Japanese Tie-dyeing Techniques), Shiko Sha (1999) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 6.Wilson, B., Ma, K.L.: Rendering complexity in computer-generated pen-and-ink illustrations. In: Proc. of Int. Symp. on NPAR, pp. 129–137. ACM, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Curtis, C.J., Anderson, S.E., Seims, J.E., Fleischer, K.W., Salesin, D.H.: Computer-generated watercolor. Computer Graphics 31, 421–430 (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Wyvill, B., van Overveld, C.W.A.M., Carpendale, M.S.T.: Rendering cracks in batik. In: NPAR, pp. 61–149 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Shamey, R., Zhao, X., Wardman, R.H.: Numerical simulation of dyebath and the influence of dispersion factor on dye transport. In: Proc. of the 37th Conf. on Winter Simulation, Winter Simulation Conference, pp. 2395–2399 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Morimoto, Y., Tanaka, M., Tsuruno, R., Tomimatsu, K.: Visualization of dyeing based on diffusion and adsorption theories. In: Proc. of Pacific Graphics, pp. 57–64. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Kwatra, V., Wei, L.Y.: Course 15: Example-based texture synthesis. In: ACM SIGGRAPH 2007 courses (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Fick, A.: On liquid diffusion. Jour. Sci. 10, 31–39 (1855)Google Scholar
- 16.Mitani, J.: The folded shape restoration and the CG display of origami from the crease pattern. In: 13th International Conference on Geometry and Graphics (2008)Google Scholar