Ktisis: Building an Open Access Institutional and Cultural Repository
The unique value of cultural heritage has long been recognized together with the need for accurate and detailed information in order to preserve and manage cultural heritage material. Any organization whose mission includes promoting access to information is aware of the value of digital collections. For the last few years, digital technology has become very familiar in cultural organizations, providing enhanced access to the content. This paper gives information about Ktisis (http://ktisis.cut.ac.cy), the institutional repository of the Cyprus University of Technology (CUT). Ktisis was developed by the Library and Information Services of CUT. The paper reflects on the technical issues that the Library had to face in the preparation of this project and the strategy that had to be defined in order to tackle them. Such issues, among others, include the file and metadata format, the design and implementation software, etc.
KeywordsOpen source software institutional repository intellectual rights open access cultural
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Borbinha, J.: An infrastructure for a national digital library. In: Proceedings of the 5th WSEAS Int. Conf. on Simulation, Modelling and Optimization, Corfu, Greece, August 17-19, pp. 146–151 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Harnad, S.: The implementation of the Berlin declaration on open access. D-Lib Magazine 11(3) (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Lynch, C., Garcia-Molina, H.: Interoperability, scaling, and the digital libraries research agenda. Microcomputers for Information Management 13(2), 85–132 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Samuelson, P.: Copyright and digital libraries. Communications of the ACM 38(4) (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Suber, P.: Removing the barriers to research: An introduction to open access for librarians. College & Research Libraries News 64(2), 92–94 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Hutar, J., Melichar, M., Stoklasova, B.: Czech National Digital Library and Long-term Preservation Issues, CULTURAL HERITAGE on line Empowering users: an active role for user communities, Florence, Italy, December 15-16 (2009)Google Scholar