Player Agency and the Relevance of Decisions
While many forms of storytelling are well-suited to the domain of entertainment, interactive storytelling remains unique in its ability to also afford its audiences a sense of having influence over what will happen next. We propose that the key to encouraging such feelings of agency in interactive stories lies in managing the perceived relevance of the decisions that players make while they play. To this end, we present the design of a system which automatically estimates the relevance of in-game decisions for each particular player, based on a dynamically learned model of their preferences for story content. By actively choosing among several potential consequences of a given player decision, the proposed system highlights the relevance of each decision while accommodating for its players’ preferences over potential story content.
KeywordsPlayer Action Virtual Character Story Event Story Generation Player Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barber, H., Kudenko, D.: Dynamic generation of dilemma-based interactive narratives. In: 3rd Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment Conference, pp. 2–7. AAAI Press, Palo Alto (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Mateas, M.: A preliminary poetics for interactive drama and games. In: Digital Creativity, vol. 12, pp. 140–152. Routledge, London (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Bethesda Softworks: Fallout 3 (2008), http://fallout.bethsoft.com/
- 4.BioWare Corp.: Dragon Age: Origins (2009), http://dragonage.bioware.com/
- 5.Riedl, M.O., Stern, A., Dini, D., Alderman, J.: Dynamic experience management in virtual worlds for entertainment, education, and training. In: Tianfield, H. (ed.) International Transactions on Systems Science and Applications, vol. 3(1), pp. 23–42. SIWN Press, Glasgow (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Thue, D.: Player-informed Interactive Storytelling. Master’s thesis, University of Alberta, Edmonton (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Thue, D., Bulitko, V., Spetch, M., Wasylishen, E.: Interactive storytelling: A player modelling approach. In: 3rd Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment Conference, pp. 43–48. AAAI Press, Palo Alto (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Tomaszewski, Z., Binsted, K.: Demeter: An implementation of the marlinspike interactive drama system. In: AAAI Symposium on Intelligent Narrative Technologies II, pp. 133–136. AAAI Press, Palo Alto (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Wardrip-Fruin, N., Mateas, M., Dow, S., Sali, S.: Agency reconsidered. In: Proceedings of the Digital Games Research Association Conference (2009)Google Scholar