UPPAAL in Practice: Quantitative Verification of a RapidIO Network
Packet switched networks are widely used for interconnecting distributed computing platforms. RapidIO (Rapid Input/Output) is an industry standard for packet switched networks to interconnect multiple processor boards. Key performance metrics for these platforms include average-case and worst-case packet transfer latencies. We focus on verifying such quantitative properties for a RapidIO based multi-processor platform that executes a motion control application. A performance model is available in the Parallel Object-Oriented Specification Language (POOSL) that allows for simulation based estimation results. It is however required to determine the exact worst-case latency as the application is time-critical. A model checking approach has been proposed in our previous work which transforms the POOSL model into an UPPAAL model. However, such an approach only works for a fairly small system. We extend the transformation approach with various heuristics to reduce the underlying state space, thereby providing an effective approximation approach that scales to industrial problems of a reasonable complexity.
KeywordsUPPAAL POOSL transformation quantitative verification heuristic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.van Bokhoven, L.: Constructive Tool Design for Formal Languages: From Semantics to Executing Models. Ph.D. thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Geilen, M.: Formal Techniques for Verification of Complex Real-Time Systems. Ph.D. thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Logothetis, G., Schneider, K.: Symbolic model checking of real-time systems. In: International Syposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning, p. 214 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.van der Putten, P., Voeten, J.: Specification of Reactive Hardware/Software Systems. Ph.D. thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Shippen, G.: A technical overview of RapidIO. (November 2007), http://www.eetasia.com/ART_8800487921_499491_NP_7644b706.HTM
- 10.Theelen, B.D., Florescu, O., Geilen, M., Huang, J., van der Putten, P., Voeten, J.: Software/hardware engineering with the Parallel Object-Oriented Specification Language. In: MEMOCODE 2007: Proceedings of the 5th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Formal Methods and Models for Codesign, pp. 139–148. IEEE Computer Society, Washington (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Xing, J., Theelen, B.D., Langerak, R., van de Pol, J., Tretmans, J., Voeten, J.: From POOSL to UPPAAL: Transformation and quantitative analysis. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Application of Concurrency to System Design, pp. 47–56. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2010)Google Scholar