Network Analysis of the French Environmental Code
We perform a detailed analysis of the network constituted by the citations in a legal code, we search for hidden structures and properties. The graph associated to the Environmental code has a small-world structure and it is partitioned in several hidden communities of articles that only partially coincide with the organization of the code as given by its table of content. Several articles are also connected with a low number of articles but are intermediate between large communities. The structure of the Environmental Code is contrasting with the reference network of all the French Legal Codes that presents a rich-club of ten codes very central to the whole French legal system, but no small-world property. This comparison shows that the structural properties of the reference network associated to a legal system strongly depends on the scale and granularity of the analysis, as is the case for many complex systems.
KeywordsLegal complexity graph theory network analysis Environmental Code citation network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bourcier, D., Mazzega, P.: Toward measure of complexity in legal systems. In: Proc. 11th Intern. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence and Law, Stanford Law School, Stanford, California USA, June 4-8, pp. 211–215. ACM Press, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Mazzega, P., Bourcier, D., Boulet, R.: The Network of French Legal Codes. In: Proc. 12th Intern. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence and Law (ICAIL), Barcelona, Spain, June 8-12, pp. 236–237. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Bourcier, D., Mazzega, P.: Codification, law article and graphs. In: Jurix, Lodder, A.R., Mommers, L. (eds.) Legal Knowledge and Information Systems, pp. 29–38. IOS Press, Amsterdam (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Chandler, S.J.: The Network Structure of Supreme Court Jurisprudence. Public Law and Legal Theory Series 2005-W-01 (Technical report), University of Houston Law Center (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Bommarito, M.J., Katz, D.M.: Properties of the United States Code Citation Network. LSN Experimental and Empirical Studies (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Chandler, S.J.: The Network Structure of the Uniform Commercial Code: It’s a Small World After All. Paper presented at the 2005 Wolfram Technology Conference (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Légifrance: Service Public de la Diffusion du Droit (2009), http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/
- 13.Watts, D.J.: Small worlds: The dynamics of networks between order and randomness. Princeton University Press, Princeton (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Barabasi, A.L., Albert, R.: Emergence of scaling in random networks. Science 286, 509–512 (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Pastor-Satorras, R., Vespignani, A.: Internet, Structure et Evolution. Editions Belin (2004)Google Scholar
- 21.Commission Supérieure de Codification : Dix-neuvième rapport annuel (2008), http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/html/codification/rapportannuel2008.pdf